While I was there, the shortlist was announced Tuesday for the Scotiabank Giller Prize, an award handed out every year for Canada's best English-language novel or book of short stories.
- Canadian Authors Association Awards for Adult Literature Honouring works by Canadian writers that achieve excellence without sacrificing popular appeal since 1975.
- Marian Engel Award for female writers in mid-career.
- Milton Acorn Poetry Awards for an outstanding "people's poet."
- Pat Lowther Award for poetry written by a woman.
- Prix Athanase-David for a Quebec writer.
- W.O. Mitchell Literary Prize for a writer who has made a distinguished lifetime contribution both to Canadian literature and to mentoring new writers.
- 3-Day Novel Contest annual literary marathon, born in Canada.
BTW, Husband and I discovered we're not supposed to say we're from America. We were told, "We're all North American, mate. You're from The States." Only I don't think he said 'mate.' Maybe he said 'you elitist continent hog.' Yeah, maybe that was it. Do they give out awards for that?